As a small business owner, protecting your systems from cyber security threats is essential. There are some simple things you can do to keep your business and client data safe from cybercriminals.
Here are our top 5 tips to keep your data safe:
- Install all software and app updates. Using an outdated version of software can leave the door open for cybercriminals to access your devices.
- Turn on automatic updates. This can reduce the risk of missing out on important updates. And it takes the stress out of remembering to manually update your devices.
- Use multi-factor authentication (MFA) where possible. MFA combines 2 or more security measures such as a fingerprint, password or physical token to protect your accounts.
- Use strong passphrases that are difficult to guess. Long, unpredictable and unique phrases are difficult for cybercriminals to crack.
- Teach yourself and your staff how to prevent, recognise and report cyber incidents. The Australian Cyber Security CentreExternal Link has fantastic resources that explain how to put cyber safety measures in place.
Check out our other top cyber security tips for businesses for more ways to secure your devices.
Last modified: 11 Apr 2023 QC 72147
Cyber safety checklist for small business owners | Australian Taxation Office (ato.gov.au)