When people come across the term wellbeing, they usually associate it with physical health. However, wellbeing also encompasses other aspects of a person, namely their mental, social and spiritual health.
The reason wellbeing is so important is that it influences one’s outlook on life and a sense of happiness and satisfaction.
Wellbeing as a balancing act
To achieve wellbeing in the truest sense of the word, all four aspects (physical, mental, social and spiritual) must be present and balanced.
For example, a person may be physically fit and popular or have a lot of friends. However, if they feel secretly anxious or depressed because they don’t see the value or meaning of their life, then they have not achieved wellbeing.
Another way of looking at it is by examining the common notion that wealth is one key to happiness.
Every day, advice providers speak with individuals about building and safeguarding their money and assets. But there is little use in accumulating wealth if you don’t have your health so that you and your loved ones can enjoy it.
Therefore, in building wealth, you should never neglect your health. Nor should you allow your relationships and personal or spiritual goals to fall by the wayside as you earn and save more money.
Things you can do to achieve wellbeing
The state of your wellbeing is influenced by every element of your life.
To achieve or enhance your wellbeing, consider the following:
- Set realistic goals.
- Get adequate sleep every day.
- Eat well-balanced or nutritious meals.
- Exercise regularly.
- Maintain healthy habits.
- Focus on the good and use that to stay motivated.
- Make time for self-reflection or meditation.
- Read inspirational writings.
- Invest in yourself by reskilling, upskilling or going back to school.
- Indulge in your favourite hobbies and leisurely pursuits.
- Find your purpose by volunteering or helping others.
- Stay in a job that you care about or interests you.
- Work toward achieving financial independence and security by paying off debt, saving and investing.
- Nurture your relationships with family members, friends, your life partner, co-workers and the greater community.
You can also add to the above list by thinking about those things that make you feel happy or fulfilled, and give your life meaning and direction.
Experience wellbeing in your life
Everyone deserves to be healthy and happy. Unfortunately, not everyone knows what to do to find meaning, purpose and joy in life, especially since wellbeing seems elusive at times.
However, it’s important to remember that wellbeing is something you can work toward and achieve.
Hopefully, with the list above, you can start taking action to experience wellbeing in your life.
If this article has inspired you to think about your own unique situation and, more importantly, what you and your family are going through right now, please contact your advice professional.
This information does not take into account the objectives, financial situation or needs of any person. Before making a decision, you should consider whether it is appropriate in light of your particular objectives, financial situation or needs.